A typical day might include:
- Working where you work best, perhaps in a home office designed by you, using a device of your choosing, with or without music, in an atmosphere you create for yourself.
- Changing source code hosted in GitHub, most of it in the open, collaborating on a pull-request, then shipping a release to customers around the world via an automated build, test, and delivery pipeline, often within the same day.
- Handling an inbound support ticket from a customer, helping them succeed with Octopus, or offering advice to a customer in our community Slack workspace.
- Pairing with another software engineer or a support engineer to help them reproduce a tricky problem, helping them understand the inner workings of Octopus in the process so they can be more helpful to even more customers over time.
- Pairing with another engineer on a Zoom call to solve a complex technical problem or design a new feature.
- Fixing a bug using an approach like red-green-refactor to prevent customers from experiencing that bug again.
- Improving our documentation to help customers discover solutions for themselves, and learn how to use Octopus for more complicated workflows.
- Writing a blog post about something interesting for other developers, or explaining a new feature of Octopus.
You will be a great fit for this role if:
- You have a firm grasp of the software trade using any language or toolset but preferably C# and TypeScript.
- You are comfortable making good decisions with general concepts like dependency, extensibility, and compatibility; and perhaps you are a specialist in an area of software engineering.
- You enjoy automating things like builds, tests, deployments, infrastructure, and operational tasks.
- You are able to work independently, motivating yourself to do high-quality work on time, communicating with your teammates when you need help or when you are ready for something new.
- You enjoy collaborating with other people to solve problems, challenging each other to discover the best solution for a problem, using a balance of passion, pragmatism, and empathy.
- You are a results-oriented person, someone who is focused on iteratively delivering valuable things to your customers, someone who willingly changes direction based on clear and transparent business information, and someone who helps others do the same.
You'll Enjoy This Role If:
- You like a balance of freedom and responsibility, being treated as an adult.
- You want to do the best work of your life with other like-minded people.
- You enthusiastically accept radically candid feedback, feedback that is thoughtful, timely, and directly actionable, and offer the same benefit to others.
- You enjoy solving complex distributed computing, automation, security, performance, and usability problems.
- You like working with great tools like the latest versions of C#, .NET, TypeScript, and React, in the development environment of your choice.
- You like working with customers directly, helping them be successful with Octopus, even if success proves to be elusive.
- You enjoy doing things the right way from the very beginning knowing you are working on a valuable asset.
Why Is This A Great Opportunity?
- We offer great benefits, including generous laptop and home office allowances, plus stock options!
- Annual leave of 25 x days.
- Parents receive 12 weeks of fully Paid Parental Leave.
- We value transparency and fairness in every aspect of our business. For example, Paul (our CEO) shares monthly updates on company performance, and our pay structures are designed to pass the ‘printer test’.
- Trust and autonomy. Octonauts are treated like adults, and are trusted to find the best way of working for the task at hand, without managers looking over their shoulder.
- You’ll be joining a high-growth company with numerous opportunities to learn and advance your career.
- Remote first: work from wherever you feel most productive.
- We are a supportive company where everyone’s contribution is valued.
- We respect and encourage work/life balance.
- We’ve built an inclusive workplace culture and understand the true importance of culture-add, versus culture-fit.
- From day 1, you'll have a buddy helping you get your bearings. You can book in coffee chats with anyone in the company. We encourage everyone to have a voice in all aspects of the product and the business. So much so that we have an open chat policy (all channels are public by default) and everyone is welcome!
- If you need assistance or accommodation during the application process because of disability, please let us know and we’ll try our best to accommodate.
- Also when it comes to inclusivity, we mean it. Check out our handbook!
- If you’d like to work at Octopus, reach out and say hello!
How To Apply:
- You must have ongoing unrestricted work rights in Australia or New Zealand to apply for this opportunity.
- Submit a CV - your LinkedIn profile is also acceptable as long as it contains enough information for us to assess your fit for the role.
- We welcome any other relevant documents or portfolios necessary to showcase your skills and why you think you’d be a great fit here at Octopus.